Ladies!! Ladies!! The long-awaited moment is finally here for you to seize. Are you a female entrepreneur who strives to transform and build your business? The African Women Entrepreneurship Cooperative (AWEC) is looking for you for a high-impact applied learning experience.
For the last three years, AWEC has impacted the lives of over 800 female entrepreneurs and is looking for the next 200 women to join its 5th cohort. Applications should be sent on or before January 30th, 2022.
- Should have a business that has been operating for at least two years and have at least two employees either part time or full time. OR women who have a strong business concept and plan to launch their business within the next year
- An African citizen either living in the continent or abroad
- Proficient in verbal and written English
- Able to carry out remote teamwork and collaboration tasks, especially using digital tools
- Able to access the internet regularly at least once a week by use of a computer or tablet
- Founders of social enterprises are also encouraged to apply; founders of NGOs or nonprofit organizations are not eligible for the 12-month program
It is important to note that for those living in the diaspora, your business must clearly impact Africa through the creation or delivery of its products or services, or based on where its customers reside.
AWEC seeks to build diverse cohorts in which Fellows share some consistent characteristics which include:
- Vision and resiliency
- Business clarity and market knowledge
- Commitment to building their businesses
- Motivation to be part of a yearlong learning experience
The program is very time intensive and you should expect to:
- Spend an average of 4 to 6 hours per week participating in AWEC activities, primarily online
- Participate in at least one AWEC activity per week throughout the program, including Zoom-enabled meetings
- Be challenged, stretched, and inspired as you acquire new knowledge
- Develop skills, build peer network, and transform your business
- Be matched with a mentor and to take ownership of your mentor/mentee relationship
- Be introduced to a peer group, and be expected to actively contribute to group discussions and activities
- Gain access to a program advisor from whom they can seek support when needed
- Respond to periodic surveys to improve the overall experience
It is very important to read carefully the expectations before applying or accepting the AWEC offer.
Here are some of the benefits you will gain in being part of the AWEC program:
- Form connections with a diverse network of African women entrepreneurs
- Establish a relationship with a senior business mentor
- Strengthen strategy, leadership and business management skills
- Gain skills in finance, marketing, and strategy needed to grow and scale their enterprise
- Develop a toolkit of soft skills, including self-confidence, resilience, collaboration, and cross-cultural communications
If interested in this program click here to apply.
Cohort 5 will run from June 2022 to May 2023. There will also be a four-week online orientation period during the month of May 2022.
After the successful completion of the 12-month program, fellows are sure to gain skills in finance, marketing, and strategy needed to grow and scale their enterprise. This is program is highly advantageous as it provides practical skills that help in scaling African businesses.