Applications are open for the 3rd round of DefendDefenders women’s digital safety fellowship program starting March 2019. The program is inviting creative, self-motivated and dependable women who want to take their digital safety skills and online activism to the next level from Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
DefendDefenders is a community of tech-savvy East African women ready to stand up and defend digital rights and digital safety while fighting online harassment in their communities.
- Minimum 4 hours per week for 3 weeks before the first workshop to complete self-study assignments and exercises. Please note these exercises are mandatory for participation in the workshop;
- Must be available for weekly email check-ins with mentors;
- Must be able to attend a one-week workshop to be scheduled in March 2019 in Kampala, Uganda;
- Opportunity to seek small grants to carry out community digital safety activities of your own;
- Working with mentors and peers as you improve your skills and work to defend your community; and
- Opportunity to participate in a 2nd gathering of Safe Sisters to further grow skills and reflect on practice and experienced gained during project implementation.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated interest in digital safety and security;
- Applicants should have experience working in the human rights and/or media field with strong links to communities who are digitally at-risk;
- Applicants must hold a sufficient level of english, as english will be the working language; and
- Applicants must complete and submit the application form here.
Priority will be given to applicants who:
- Demonstrate experience with strong technical competencies (though this need not be formal education);
- Have experience with tech and human rights initiatives;
- Demonstrate an understanding of their own and their community’s digital safety challenges and needs;
- Propose creative project ideas; and
- Construct clear project objectives/goals.
Applications are open until 15th February 2019. Please apply by filling out the online application form.