Are you a young Kenyan woman aged between the age of 19-24 and coming from a socio-economically disadvantaged background? If yes, AkiraChix is currently receiving applications for its CodeHive Technical Training program which is a one year fully funded hands-on technical training program that provides an education and economic opportunity to young women . These young women are those that have completed high school but due to financial constraints are unable to further their education. The program aims to develop capacity and skills in computer literacy, software development (for both mobile and web applications), hardware & product design, graphic design, entrepreneurship, life skills, communication skills, and professional development.
To be eligible applicants must
- Have a minimum grade of C-
- Between the age of 19 – 24
- Completed high school no later than 2017
- Fluent in English
- Interested in Technology or using Technology to bring change to communities
- Available full time from Jan -Dec 2019, and expected to stay on campus for the duration of the program.
- Demonstrate leadership i.e be able to demonstrate your involvement in leadership activities either at home, school, church, and community
- Committed to service
- Be a changemaker
Every young woman admitted to the codeHive program receives financial assistants that allow them to go through the program. The cost of tuition per student is $5100 , this covers:
- One year tuition-free, accommodation, extracurricular activities, meals, transportation, and personal amenities.
- Training facilities including high-speed internet, biometric security control, and recreational centers.
- Access to health care, including group medical insurance.
- Access to technology hubs and maker spaces in Nairobi for tech events and prototyping respectively.
- Access to a selected pool of mentors, who will advise on careers and personal growth. “Women in Tech Role models”.
- Access to 6 months incubation after the one-year codeHive program dedicated to finding and securing employment for codeHive graduates as well as business mentoring and incubation for early-stage startups.
AkiraChix is a center for excellence and believes that access to education and training is of paramount importance for young women to support them in moving out of the vicious cycle of low-skills, low-productivity, and low-wage employment and as a pathway to bridging the gender gap in Information & Technology industry.
- Dec 3rd – Application open
- Jan 11th – Application closes
- Jan 12th – Jan 15th – Review of applications by AkiraChix
- Jan 15th – Shortlisted Applicants are invited for a one on one interview
- Jan 20th – Final 50 are selected and contacted
- 1st Feb – Orientation and enrollment into the campus