Deadline: May 14, 2018 at 4:59 PM EST
Are you a woman leader working within civil society, the public sector and public-policy making institutions, and are dedicated to making positive change in your country? Applications for the 2018 VVEngage Fellowship are open and you’re encouraged to apply.
VVEngage is a one-year fellowship that provides technical skills, leadership development, and a powerful network of peers to the most outstanding women leaders who are policy makers and policy influencers across the globe.
With the support of Freeport-McMoRan, the fellowship aims to increase the capacity, decision-making power and effectiveness of women leaders in public life, shifting culture around women’s public leadership and moving towards equality in public representation globally. Fellows will have access to virtual and in-person training from professors from world-renowned institutions such as Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government.
- Woman elected or appointed official (at the global/intergovernmental, national, or regional level) or civil society leader
- A minimum of two years in elected or appointed office, as the key decision-maker for a civil society organization, or in related leadership work
- Proficient in English
- Demonstrated commitment to the core principles of the “Vital Voices Leadership Model” – Innovative, collaborative, and driven by a clear sense of mission; engaged in her community; committed to working with different political ideologies; committed to advancing the status of women and girls; committed to transparency and good governance
- Demonstrated leadership ability and high potential for – and commitment to – future leadership development
- Desire to be connected to, and engage with, a global network of women in public life
- At minimum, a basic understanding of the policy-making process in your community
Additional criteria based on sector:
Elected OR appointed official:
- If the applicant is a member of a political party, the party must be established, registered and committed to good governance and democratic principles
- Both the applicant and the applicant’s party must have no history of corruption or abuse of power
- Commitment to working with other sectors on common goals
- Previous history of public engagement and expertise on the issue(s) under the mandate of her organization
- In a position of leadership within her organization
Civil society leader:
- Organization must be a civil society organization – ‘an autonomous association that is independent of the public and for-profit sectors and designed to advance collective interests and ideas’*
- Organization must be well-respected within its sphere and recognized by partners and international organizations as influential and respectable
- Organization’s mission must be in line with the values of democracy, transparency, and good governance, if applicable
- Organization must have been registered for at least five years
- Organization must be non-partisan
Commitment – This fellowship is a 12-month commitment, starting in July 2018 and ending in June 2019, including two in-person gatherings and virtual training throughout the year.
Applicants must be able to commit to the following:
- Complete a baseline survey that goes into more detail about your professional experience, personal and organizational goals, work-related skills, mentorship experience and community engagement
- Participate in online trainings and webinars, and complete virtual assignments for an average of eight hours per month throughout the year-long fellowship
- Participate in a three-day in-person gathering in August/September 2018**
- Participate in a five-day in-person gathering in February/March 2019 in Cambridge, MA, USA**
- Complete surveys every six months for up to two years after participating in the VVEngage Fellowship
All fellow travel, meals and accommodation costs for the in-person gatherings will be covered in full by VVEngage.
Apply HERE on or before May 14th 2018.
All the best!