This post first appeared HERE
During one year, it is estimated that 5 out of 1000 women get pregnant due to a falsely attributed green day. It is also estimated that 7 women out of 100 get pregnant during one year due to all sort of possible reasons including but not limited to having intercourse without protection on red days or failure of the contraceptive method used on red days.
It is with these facts in mind that Natural cycles, the contraceptive app was created. You no longer need a physical calendar to stay on top of your fertility. You only need your smartphone. You can easily download the Natural Cycles on your Android, iPhone or iPad.
It is the only app that is medically certified for contraception in the market. It is however certified in Europe. In other jurisdictions, Natural Cycles is intended to be used for fertility monitoring among women. It is an easy to use app, very effective with minimal side effects that provide an alternative to conventional pregnancy prevention methods.
How it works
Every cycle is different in a woman but one constant is that you can only get pregnant on up to 6 days in one cycle. The App finds those crucial six days for you. All one needs to do is measure their temperature in the morning, enter it into the app and it will give you a red or a green day depending on whether you need to use protection.
It uses an algorithm that takes into account the body temperature and many other factors such as sperm survival, temperature fluctuations and cycle irregularities. This way it can detect ovulation and fertility as well as the different stages of a woman’s menstrual cycle. This is far more accurate than other similar methods of fertility tracking because it is based on extensive clinical research.
- Clinical studies have shown that Natural Cycles is 93% effective for contraception with a typical Pearl Index of 7.0*.
- Science and regulatory certifications. Natural Cycles is backed by clinical research and has been certified in Europe as a medical device intended to be used for contraception.
- No hormone related side effects. Natural Cycles is a natural contraceptive method that is non-hormonal and non-intrusive.
- Learn for life. The natural cycle app goes beyond contraception. It also provides useful personal health information for women to have a better understanding of their bodies and unique cycles, so that they can easily effectively make those big decisions in the future.
- Data acquired can be used to facilitate conception when the woman’s desired outcome changes.
- May provide useful information and help the HCP diagnose any underlying medical conditions that may be present.
- The app does not protect against sexually transmitted infections that are associated with unprotected sex.
- The app requires a daily routine of temperature measuring. This requires a high degree of commitment for any woman willing to use the app for accurate results.
- Does not provide hormone related benefits for diagnosed medical conditions such as endometriosis and HMB (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding) or for bleeding management and cycle control.
- It is less effective compared to LARCs (Long-acting reversible contraceptives) such as intrauterine devices.
It can be a very scary feeling to leave your birth control measures to an App. Would I recommend it? Yes definitely, But in the terms of functionality and understanding your cycle. Not all contraceptive measures are 100%, but for a 93% effectiveness index, I would take that over chance.